This log home was built in 1870, of squared timbers, that is to say large pine logs hewn with an axe, a method typical of the early days of the forestry industry in the region. The exterior walls were then clad in clapboard. Notice the triangular gable. The house was heated with a stone furnace located in the basement.
Ephraïm Guimond had the house built while he was working as the innkeeper at the Symmes Inn at the very tip of rue Principale, near the river. For some 20 years in the late 19th century, he operated a tavern out of his home. Visitors entered through an enormous double door at the front of the building.
This house continues to stand out to this day for how well it harmonizes with the heritage landscape of rue Principale, the choice of materials and its modesty, as well as the continuity of its historic function with the business on the ground floor and living quarters on the second floor.