The Redemptorist Father's Monastery

161 Principale (The Monastery)


The Monastery in construction in 1938

Here we see the construction of one of the wings of the building in 1938: a third floor was added over the frame of the main chapel.

The John Egan's House and the Monastery

View of John Egan’s house (which at the time had a superimposed porch and balcony at the front). It stood in front of the Redemptorist Fathers’ monastery during the construction in 1938.

The Monastery in 1940

A view of the seminarians’ dining hall.

The Monastery Grand Chapel in 1940

A view of the monastery chapel.

Today

The former Redemptorist Fathers’ monastery was converted into a senior’s residence in the late 1990s.

Text Version

The Redemptorist Fathers of Aylmer were a community of 130 brothers and students living in a cloistered community. Their congregation bought John Egan House in 1937, and built a seminary on the 30-acre property. The original house served as the entrance to the seminary, which integrated perfectly with this heritage building. The imposing monastery was drawn by architect Joseph-Aimé Poulin of Sherbrooke, Quebec. Notice the modillioned cornices carved under the roof overhang to support it.

In addition to these distinguished buildings, the property had a tree-lined pathway where the priests went to read, a central courtyard and an orchard where the priests grew fruit and vegetables to be self-sufficient. Inside, there were facilities for religious education: a library, classrooms, laboratories, a refectory, a gymnasium and even an indoor pool. These days, despite having been transformed into a senior’s residence, the monastery fits in with the rest of the heritage neighbourhood, with its red roofs, without losing any of its olden day charm enhanced by the presence of mature trees.  
 



Partager

Sur Facebook

Sur Twitter

Par Messenger


Extrait de
Old Aylmer Historical Tour

Voyez le circuit complet avec l'application BaladoDécouverte gratuite pour Android et iOS