The Dufferin House facade, around 1903.
With the increase in tourism, several stores and hotels were built . In 1864, Abraham DeVillers commissioned Louis Dubé, a local carpenter, to build him a good-sized house in which he set up a general store on the groundfloor. During the summers he rented out some of the family’s upstairs rooms, as well as a section of his stables. Monsieur DeVillers provided tourists with transportation and ice, two indispensable commodities in those days.
Photo source :
Musée du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Belle-Lavoie Collection