The Lebels’ Farmhouse or Hicksons’ Summer Cottage.
During the summer vacation, the farmer’s dwelling would become the vacationer’s cottage. The farmers would provide water and wood for their tenants. Some built a tennis court or croquet ground, or even a pathway to a bathing hut. Towards 1880, Joseph Hickson, general manager of the Grand Trunk Railway Company, had two small annexes built onto each end of the Lebel’s house, at his own cost.
Photo source :
Drawing : Eugene Haberer, detail from a St. Lawrence Hall pamphlet of 1901, Musée du Château Ramezay Collection (Card #15, Illustrated Cacouna, 2001)