Facade of the St. Lawrence Hall, around 1900.
In 1863, Hugh O’Neill, a renowned Quebec City hotelier, built an imposing L-shaped hotel. The St. George Hotel, renamed St. Lawrence Hall four years later, was an almost instant success – so much so that it had to be expanded twice. Everything was provided for the comfort of the guests: a grand ballroom, a ladies’ parlour, a craft boutique, a bowling alley and, for the gentlemen, a smoking room, a barber shop, a telegraph station and a billiard room.
Photo source :
Photo : Archives nationales du Québec, Fonds Livernois (P560, S1, P353)