Hudson's Bay Company
In 1831, the Hudson's Bay Company had a monpoly on the fur trade in the region, operated trading posts in Chicoutimi, Métabetchouan, Ashuapmushuan and haversted fur at various locations in teh Pekuakamiulnuatsh.
For a fortnight in summer the Pekuakamiulnuatsh converge in a canoe towards Métabetchouan, they come to selle their furs at the trading post and to attend the activities of the mission for the feast of Saint-Pierre on June 29th. Then, the families set off again along de Pekuakami, crossing Lake Saint-Jean in small groups.
Over time, the Pekuakamiulnuatsh gradually abandoned Métabetchouan for Pointe-Bleue and in 1866 the Hudson's Bay Company wanted to settle in the reserve, which had becom a center of important economic activity. In the same year, she built a hangar and rented a haouse in the reserve.
In 1867, Hudson Bay obtained government permission to build a store in Pointe-Bleue and leased land to the Band Council. The first store is flat, built of round wood, far from the road and directed towards the lake to accomodate the boats. There is no floor, but the many shelves contain a little linen, flour and grease.
Tommy Ross and R.Skeen, runners of the woods, are appointed responsible for the Hudson's Bay Company which will operate its business in the same place for 115 years. Finnally, the company ceased all activities in Mashteuiatsh in 1980.