The City Hall
Built to centralise services and increase the efficiency of the administration, Arvida’s City Hall is the work of architects Bertrand Dallaire and Maurice Gravel. Inaugurated in 1960, the new building differs from previous city halls because its modern architecture is more concerned with functionality than simply being an imposing building. Like many buildings of the City of Arvida, it integrates in its architecture elements of aluminum in the framing, the doors and the windows.
The municipality of Arvida has had six mayors :
Frank E. Dickie (1926)
John P. Walsh (1926-1928)
Dr. Arthur E. Riddell (1928-1941)
Jean-Louis Fay (1941-1957)
Georges Hébert (1957-1967)
Francis Dufour (1967-1974)
When the cities of Arvida, Kénogami and Jonquière are merged, the larger and more accommodating Arvida City Hall is chosen to house the administration of the new city : Jonquière. In 2002, the City of Saguenay is created following the merger of the cities of Chicoutimi, Jonquière, La Baie and the municipalities of Laterrière, Lac-Kénogami, Shipshaw and part of Canton-Tremblay. The former Arvida City Hall today serves as Saguenay’s Public Safety headquarters.