1 Saint-Vincent Street (corner of Principale)
Built in the early 20th century at the corner of Saint-Vincent and Principale streets, the Murray Inn was in its day one of the most well-known hotel properties in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts. In the late 1920s it was moved to the end of Saint-Vincent Street at Larocque Street, cut into two sections, which were then drawn by horses. Its new lakeside setting only enhanced its charm and, under its new name, the Laurentide Inn*, it became one of the most modern and in-demand places to stay in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts.
Before 1912, there was no real road suitable for motor vehicles in the Sainte-Agathe area. And it was not until 1920 that the government approved construction of a major highway extending northward to Mont-Laurier. Route 11, as it was originally known, passed through the heart of the village, along Principale Street and then along Saint-Vincent.
At that intersection, Pierre-Émile Lortie’s garage and service station, which opened in 1928, was one of the busiest in the township. Léo Lortie took it over in 1944. Although Route 11 was rerouted in 1955 (and became the 117 in the 1970s), the business remained a going concern, run by Léo’s son Guy, among others, until around the turn of the 21st century.
After standing vacant for a number of years, the property was converted into a public rest area with the current owner’s consent and collaboration, and may be repurposed as a retail space.
* See picture further down at ''The Golden Age of Hotel Tourism'' page.
(1) (2) Exterior and interior of the Murray Inn at its original location.
(3) The Lortie garage and service station around 1950.