The Jewish Community

House of Israel Synagogue

27 Saint-Henri Street West (corner of Albert)
……….

The House of Israel Congregation in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts dates back to 1953. But the Jewish community had gradually established a presence in the area beginning much earlier than that, starting with the construction in 1909 of Mount Sinai Hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis.

Shops and hotels with kosher food began to appear in the town, where the community was increasingly active. Older residents recall that in the 1940s, a rabbi began using part of his home as a synagogue.

Around the middle of the century, a congregation was officially established, and a synagogue built to serve the community, which had a significant presence in many towns in the Laurentians.

The House of Israel synagogue was completely renovated recently. You’ll find it at the corner of Saint-Henri Street, a short walk of about 100 metres up Albert Street.

Breaking bread together

Mindful of getting to know their neighbours, members of the Jewish community have always sought to build friendly relations with the rest of the population, for example by inviting them to share in their community activities.

For a number of years now, in the summer months, everyone has been invited to come and learn how to make challah, a traditional Jewish bread. A tour of the synagogue is also offered.

Challah is a traditional egg-based bread eaten on the Sabbath, but also on celebratory and other special occasions.

PHOTO
(1) Daniel Deslauriers, L’Information du Nord newspaper, July 10, 2017



Partager

Sur Facebook

Sur Twitter

Par Messenger


Extrait de
Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts Heritage Tour

Voyez le circuit complet avec l'application BaladoDécouverte gratuite pour Android et iOS