Historical Stained Glass Window
In the turn of the 20th century, the Jesuit Fathers in London wanted to replace their church waning stained glass. The shop responsible for the creation of a new stained glass window removed, cleaned, repaired and strengthened the old one.
Coincidentally, the restored stained glass crossed the ocean and found its way into the hands of priest Joseph-Eugène Choquette, in charge of the Sainte-Agnès parish. A parishioner from Compton would have offered it to him.
On July 18, 1913, the vestry assembly approved the modifications to the chevet wall of Sainte-Agnès Church, then under construction, to receive this huge piece of art.
The Tree of Jesse, a Jesus’s genealogy schematization according to Saint-Matthew and Saint-Luke, is represented by nine lancet arches forming the stained glass lower part. In Québec’s corpus, this would be the only stained glass window to address this subject. The upper part, the tympanum, contains scenes of the Blessed Virgin. This stained glass window must be read from bottom to top.
The church is open to visitors all summer from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.